Sporty handbrake switch

All Kia Sportage related discussions
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Now, I always use the 'auto brake keeper onner' in normal driving, but use the brake switch quite a lot so the brake lights go off when stood in traffic & other vehicles behind. I wish everyone did this out of politeness, but heyho....
Anyway, last year I noticed that 'sometimes' the parking brake didn't work when I used the switch despite using a selection of swear words during operation. The main issue here is that my drive is uphill facing the road, and I always reverse in, so if the handbrake switch doesn't do what it should, then the gearbox 'lock when in park' is the handbrake - auto brake doesn't work in reverse. I know this will do the job, but.........
Anyway, rang Burrows Kia in Barnsley about it on Thursday, and they immediately booked the Sporty in for switch replacement on Monday morning. 'It'll be done while you wait', the lady said 'as it's a known issue'. I'll see if I can get a pic of the current switch if there's evidence of dudness

The switch on back order was expected on the 4th of September. Well it's gone completely dud now, so I called in at Burrows yesterday and they 'increased the urgency' with Kia, and it came up as the 1st of September. Fortunately I can 'make' it work when I switch the engine off by making sure that the auto hold is on, so all is not lost, but hopefully I won't get pulled up for 'no handbrake'.......

AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Went in to Burrows In Barnsley for the new handbrake switch gubbins kit fitted last September and just had time to nip in 'Tarn' with SWMBO for drinks & a bacon & tomato sarnie at Kay's Café in the market. All done in a bit over an hour, but when I asked the techy guy if I could have a look at the dud bit, it was already bundled up ready to go to the recycle gods at Kia somewhere.
Anyway, no charge and works fine now, so happy as Larry (whoever he/she/it was/is!) and we'll see how long this one lasts.