Oh no, another tyre thread!

All Kia Sportage related discussions
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

At just over 20000 miles on my 2019 Sportage 4 Tgdi awd and the front tyres needed changing (two years ago). I had intended getting them done before Chrimbo anyway......
Anyway, I called in at my local tyre dealer in Barnsley (Malcolm's, on Cemetery Road) that I have been using for over 35 years for a (rear) puncture repair last week, and they had a deal on RoadX tyres (and fit them to their own vehicles, as do most of their staff on their's), so I got a couple of RxMotion 245/45zr19 s ones on the front wheels in place of the oem tyres that were just on the limits.
£86 + Vear and Tear including fitting/balance, so not too bad. I did look them up and there seems to be some comments that they can be awkward to balance, but the fitter poopoo'd that and I must say so far that they feel ok on the M1 - at legal speeds ossifer! ('cough'), and A/B/local unrated roads. Grippy and quiet anyway. I'll keep an eye on fuel consumption too, but that'll drop in cold weather anyway.
I'll get the rears replaced in the new year before the really bad weather as they've got a couple of thousand left on them yet.
Considering my original Hankooks and various replacements on 4 petrol 2.4 and 2.7V6 Santa Fés over the last 20 years averaged about 60000 on sets of tyres, the low profiles on the Sporty haven't lasted too well. That said, the car does encourage driving a bit quicker than the Santas, so I suppose that's the way of it now. Bigger car, bigger expenses.
I did get a pair of rears to match about 6 weeks later, so all new for the January nasty weather.

AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Done over 20000 miles on the tyres so far and still a couple of thousand left on them. Since retirement, I tend to do more local driving, so more bends & braking than motorways nowadays.
The Sporty tends to handle better than the Santa Fés too, so that doesn't help with tyre wear either!!