DCT clutch issues

All Kia Sportage related discussions
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

I originally bought my 2019 Sportage 4 awd tgdi in September 2020 with 9010 miles on, loved it at first (test) drive and still do.
Got to the bad weather in early 2021 and one very cold morning in 2021 set off up my slightly uphill drive & the auto dct clutch(es?) grabbed quite badly on initial movement, then seemed ok. This happened for a few days in very cold weather, but went back to normal after that. Anyway, let Burrows Kia in Barnsley know and they told me that if it got worse, they would sort it and it was warranted.
This only seems to happen on the first start and only when the weather is cold, otherwise it drives and changes fine. I tend to use my auto box as a semi auto when slowing down, which is probably why after 41000 miles, the original front brake pads are only worn 20% & rears 50%.... No, I don't know why the rears wear faster than the fronts - no fatties in the back, but I occasionally tow a boat or bike trailer/use the boot as designed!
Burrows recommended booking the car in for a 'judder test' which could have one of three options - first, it was ok, second, it needed a standard existing type clutch, or third, it was very poorly and needed a new upgraded clutch. The test would need an overnight stay in Barnsley so it could be started cold and uphill.
I had the car booked in for service last December & due to a problem with the courtesy car not being available in time by the previous customer, didn't get the clutch test done so I booked it in for a couple of weeks later. Anyway, had a call and they said that Kia had told them to forget the judder test & fit a complete upgraded clutch 'as currently in the new Sportages' and I booked it in for three days (just in case!) - with a courtesy car - at this month end. They did say that it might be done in one day, but as they didn't know if anything else was going to be naughty, they preferred to make sure.

AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Dropped the Sporty off early January for clutch and other bits doing - more info later!
They want it for 'up to' 3 days Which is no problem, as I now have a 23 PLATE GT line Rio manual as a courtesy car. Strange little beast with a 3 pot turbo engine, but quite nippy. Dash controls very different, but heated seat & sneering wheel are there, so it's putupwithable! Must find some better radio stations though...
AlanH

Post by AlanH »

Got the Sporty back 3 days later with a new DC in which the old one looks like this......
The one fitted is a new type, super duper DC as fitted to the new cars with DCT.

20240131_152317.jpg

Also had a MOT done - (pass), freeby satnav update so the speed details are on the screen again, engine/clutch software update and a free valet in & out, so as you can guess I'm very pleased. I'll do an update in a few weeks as to how it's all behaving.

The courtesy 23 plate Rio GT line did a tad under 45mpg and seems to have been a self charging hybrid. A bit low for me regarding getting in & out, but for a 1.0T petrol engine, it was very nippy and had lots of toys in!
Barnsley Burrows Kia get another star!!